Senior Outside Sales ManagerLocation Atlanta, Georgia Job Number 173198 Brand CMG Corporate Services
This position will drive audience acquisition sales and marketing programs and plays a leadership role in the achievement of overall home delivery (HD) and single copy (SC) sales and revenue goals. The manager is accountable for achieving revenue and engagement goals and will have responsibility for successfully executing the sales and marketing elements at each property. The position is directly responsible for the day to day contractor oversight at the AJC and accountability across markets for sales goal achievement; including activity across all product lines, developing new kiosk locations for sales opportunities. Ensures sales and expense goals and print/digital volumes are achieved. Will need to understand all sales channels – SC marketing and HD pressure sales [Kiosk, Crews (door-to-door)] regarding sales areas, order quality, product knowledge, digital registration, customer complaints, and sales commission.
This also includes establishing and maintaining business partnerships and promotions, expanding and\or developing sales locations, positioning the paper inside retail outlets, and effective brand translation throughout all SC campaigns. Also partners with distribution to provide field reporting such as POP assessments to improve distribution management, draw setting, and shrink management. Emphasis will be placed on improving profitability, market share, and readership by driving cost effective single copy audience growth initiatives which produce long-term revenue.
60% (up to 25% travel working with local Outside Sales Managers). Interacts with local vendors and their employees in the acquisition and retention of the highest value subscribers and in the promotion and execution of SC campaigns. Provide oversight and direction to vendors as needed to achieve retention, volume, and quality goals as well as SC marketing objectives. Implements sales campaigns, and acquisition and communication strategies to vendors and retail partners. Develop retail opportunities throughout the market. Manage, track, and optimize promotion expense budget.
10% Leads development and management of marketing and sales strategies and promotions to both maintain and expand market share and develop new target markets to enable the attainment of additional sales and revenue. Develops materials and scripting to support all sales initiatives.
10% Monitors quality of sales channels in conjunction with Audience Analytics. Respond quickly within parameters of budget to resolve these issues. Works closely with supervisor to develop- tactical interventions and establish strategic priorities.
5% Collaborates with marketing, audience analytics, and sales support to develop effective targeted solutions for product knowledge, training, and sales collateral. Provide feedback to these groups on the quality of information received, data and reporting delivered.
5% Oversees the development of verified circulation volumes including Total Market Coverage (TMC), Opt-in, and other products under development.
5% Maintains a current knowledge of market development\conditions and area competitors and stays abreast of industry trends and developments by developing and maintaining a network of single copy marketing professionals.
% All other duties as assigned
Effective management of sales and retention campaigns directly impacts circulation revenue and adds highest value copies in support of advertising sales opportunities.
Direct oversight of Outside Sales Channels
• Review reporting and tracking of KPIs for trends and developing tactics.
• Regular meetings with vendors to review performance to goal, order quality, develop and execute of improvement plans (in all markets)
• Sales calls in support of retail partnerships
• Weekly QC assessment of all sales channels and deployment of QC checks with customer care team
• Development of contracts and addendums to align vendors’ activity with company goals
• Manage premiums and promotional items
• Direct territory rotation and kiosk locations for targeted audience.
• Make certain all volume is acquired in accordance with AAM regulations
• Collaborate with technology platform managers to make certain all acquisition interfaces provide the best possible customer experience.
Support of Single Copy Sales
• Monitor results of single copy marketing initiatives through analysis, feedback from operations, vendors, and retailers; as well as through direct observation of sales locations.
• Review sales results vs. plan and drive sales initiatives (improving placement, POP execution, establish promotions with key retail partners) as needed to achieve volume and revenue goals.
• Assure field audits are coordinated to focus on largest opportunities to improve results.
• Provide effective feedback to distribution to drive improvement in draw management and shrink reductions.
• Develop and execute sales and promotion plans for single copy retail outlets that result in increased sales of our newspapers.
• Achieve budgeted volume and revenue goals for single copy newspapers.
• Making outside sales calls to key retail outlets to maximize single copy sales.
• Optimize point-of-purchase exposure throughout CMG markets that results in winning the store-by-store promotional battles with competitive print products.
• Working with Marketing and Distribution, utilize all promotional tools, including in-store signage, upcoming Sunday ads, online promotion, masthead coupon promotion, e-mail and social media marketing, to maximize single copy sales
Provide oversight of verified circulation categories
• Work with vendors develop effective zip rotation that achieve shared advertising goals.
• Maintain effective QC on all opt-in acquisitions
Supports the company’s revenue growth by developing programs using local market information, benchmarking, industry knowledge and data to increase readership, circulation.
• Ensures sales goals and print/digital volumes are achieved by conceiving, recommending and implementing strategies to increase sales and retention of subscriptions.
• Creates, develops and executes on strategic and tactical plans related to increasing print and digital subscriptions including non-traditional methods for achieving sales.
• Meets or exceeds budgeted market share goal by effectively managing print to digital migration, driving volume and achieving rate goals to reach revenue objectives.
• Supports and shares in company goals, objectives and practices.
Assists in the accomplishment of departmental and company objectives by performing other related tasks as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Experience: Minimum of 5 years experience in circulation sales or retail/merchandising marketing function, preferably at a mid-sized or metro market, with at least 2 years of management experience preferably overseeing independent contractors.
• Familiarity with AAM regulations
• Demonstrated ability to manage contracts
• Working knowledge of Newscycle preferred
• Functional knowledge of Excel, Power Point and Word a must. Data analysis experience helpful.
• Possess a strong sales skill set and the ability to do/develop a written or oral presentation to big and small groups
• Must be able to work independently and achieve complex objectives
• Must be able to establish effective and collaborative relationships at all levels of the org chart.
• Strong customer marketing skills.
• Must be goal driven, detail-oriented, collaborator with strong time management skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
Internal contacts: Sales Managers, Marketing, Audience Analytics, Customer Care, IT, Advertising
External contacts: CMG, other Cox properties, & contractors as needed
CoxMedia Group (CMG) is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that also includes the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company’s operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations; more than 60 radio stations; six daily newspapers, more than a dozen non-daily publications; and more than 100 digital sites and services, like Rare.us, Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, and All22. CMGcurrentlyoperatesinmorethan 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 31 million TV viewers, more than 3.5 million newspaper readers, and nearly 15 million radio listeners. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-GA-Atlanta-223 Perimeter Center Pkwy NE
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Team Leader
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing