Vice President, Communications and Public RelationsLocation: US-GA-Atlanta Job Number 1719079 Brand CMG Corporate Services
As the Vice President of Communications and Public Relations, you will serve as the senior most communications leader for Cox Media Group and will be responsible for developing, implementing, executing and adjusting the communications strategy for the entire organization internally and externally. This role has a high level of visibility and influence across the organization and the executive leadership team. You will be expected to lead and manage the communications team with direct responsibility for people, activities, and initiatives across the enterprise.
Assuming the Vice President of Communications and Public Relations role requires an experienced self-starter with the confidence and capability to guide and shape a communications agenda while securing executive endorsement along the way. You will provide leadership with a line-of-sight to potential challenges and issues that may impact the business or its people through thoughtful competitive analyses, stakeholder feedback and insights. Through proactive stakeholder management, you serve as a true business partner to senior leadership; understand all aspects of the business; provide counsel and at the same time, drive results. To excel in this role, you must have a track record of successfully managing stakeholders in a diverse, distributed organization in a complex change management environment.
The Vice President of Communications and Public Relations acts as both a strategic thought leader and a hands-on communications professional. In this role, you will lead a team responsible for:
• Communications Strategy
• External/Internal Communications
• Media & Industry Relations (serving as spokesperson)
• Executive and Leadership Communications
• M&A/Integration Communications
• Social Media
• Issues & Crisis Management
• Reputation Management
• Content & Communications Channels
Overall responsibilities include:
- Bringing to life the Cox Media Group (CMG) corporate narrative and increasing the visibility and positive messaging of CMG, the company’s portfolio of brands, and its visibility as an Employer of Choice for all key stakeholders.
- Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer, this position works closely with the President, Executive Leadership Team, and other key stakeholders to create an overarching corporate communications strategy, ensuring it is closely aligned with business objectives and is integrated and consistently articulated to both internal and external Company stakeholders.
- Favorably positioning the company and top executives through proactive messaging, strategically leveraging both internal and external communication strategies.
- Partnering on Employment Branding strategies to help ensure company is an employer of choice.
- Facilitating and driving clarity of corporate vision, strategy and values while ensuring consistency of the narrative across all audiences.
- Creating and implementing a proactive media relations strategy, identifying unique opportunities to favorably position CMG within the trade, business and financial press.
- Working alongside the Executive Leadership Team and Chief Human Resources Officer to develop and drive communications strategies/support for any confidential and time sensitive M&A initiatives.
- Creating a strategic and proactive internal communications plan to educate, align and engage employees around the mission and business objectives, including change management communications initiatives.
- Developing and managing an effective crisis and issues management program, proactively signaling the organization when unexpected scenarios can potentially be disruptive to the business.
- Creating and maintaining relationships with key, top-tier business, trade media and PR agencies that can lead to increased visibility for the company, its key initiatives and campaigns in market.
- Designing and developing processes and standards to effectively monitor and analyze communications campaigns and efforts.
- 15+ years of progressive communications/public relations experience, leading the corporate communications function in an organization with a well-known brand(s) with a demonstrated track record of success.
- Expert ability to craft meaningful communications aligned with business strategy and executive voice.
- Executive presence, a polished, articulate leader with “low ego,” and the ability to inspire confidence among senior leaders and all stakeholders with whom you will interact.
- Passionate, high energy executive with the commitment and enthusiasm to take on complex, challenging situations in a dynamic organization; and the ability to envision, articulate, and realize both process and program improvements within the communications department.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to build rapport with associates at all levels of the organization. Ability to positively motivate, lead, and build consensus across all corporate business units.
- Strong strategic planning skills, solid understanding of the business, and ability to build and nurture relationships at the highest levels in a corporate environment.
- Development and maintenance of internal operational procedures and processes supporting the communications programs within the company and its vertical segments.
- Experience advising and coaching executive leadership on communication-related issues.
- Experience in media and crisis communications.
- Extensive network and positive working relationships with regional and national media contacts in consumer, business and trade press.
- Fundamental communication expertise is a must, especially exceptionally strong writing, editing and presentation skills.
- Strong experience/knowledge of social media tools and techniques for driving reputation and brand, and advancing messaging in the market.
- Authentic, accessible, down-to-earth style preferred
- Strong ability to influence colleagues at all levels
- Agile, with ability to adeptly shift course, if needed
- Excellent business acumen/skills
- Strong drive, initiative and creativity
- Exceptional judgment in making sound decisions quickly and efficiently
- Confidence and effectiveness in dealing with senior leaders and in public speaking
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Shows passion, energy, intensity, and excitement
- Adheres to the highest standards of integrity and maintains strict confidentiality of sensitive issues
Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or related field is required. An advanced degree such as an MBA is highly desirable.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-GA-Atlanta-6205 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Executive
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing