ACN ReporterJob ID 183144 Date posted 02/16/2018 Location Austin, Texas Apply
- Takes a modern approach to news gathering and reporting through use of social media to report, publish and promote news.
- Has a digital first approach to breaking, daily and enterprise news coverage.
Attends city council, school board, hospital board and commissioner’s court meetings to obtain news of interest to readers.
- Takes photographs and shoots video to provide visual interest to the newspaper and its digital and social media sites.
- Contacts schools and city departments and law enforcement agencies to obtain news for the paper.
- Assists in the accomplishment of departmental and company objectives by performing other related duties as assigned.
- Composes articles in proper AP-style based on fact-finding exercises in order to inform readers.
- Proofs press releases for clarity and accuracy in order to produce an error free publication.
- Talks to residents establishing leads to stories of interest in order to cover all aspects of the community.
- Follows up on leads given to staff by citizens in order to cover all aspects of the community.
- Makes assignments for self or takes assignments from editor to produce news articles.
- Attends community functions to photograph events to provide visual documentation of events for readers.
- Attends staff meetings and offers suggestions for stories to insure that all important news is covered.
- Effectively organizes workday to maximize productivity by utilizing proper time management techniques to ensure high level of responsiveness to our customers’ needs.
- Establishes and maintains effective communications and working relationships with internal personnel and outside contacts to ensure a productive and constructive work environment.
- Will work in concert with American-Statesman and other community news reporters, editors and other staffers as needed.
- Must be able to work overtime as required and be able to work in any other company location as needed.
- Provides excellent service to internal and external customers by courteously and effectively fulfilling requests, providing assistance, addressing concerns and solving problems in a timely, professional manner.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills, including thorough knowledge of English language, grammar and proper structure.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within the community using sensitivity, tact and sound judgment.
- Ability to comfortably conduct interviews and take effective notes.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and assignments at the same time.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers and Microsoft Word software.
- Ability to represent the newspaper in a professional manner, in behavior and appearance.
- Ability to work effectively in fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment that requires the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and effectively.
- Valid Texas Drivers License and proof of liability insurance.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers and non-daily publications; and digital sites and services, like Rare.us, Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, Mundo Hispanico, Southern Kitchen and All22. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-TX-Austin-305 S Congress Ave
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Recently Viewed Jobs
No Recently Viewed Jobs
- Mobile/Breaking News Reporter I Austin, Texas