General Sales ManagerJob ID 183029 Date posted 02/14/2018 Location Charlotte, North Carolina Apply
The General Sales Manager (GSM) is responsible for managing the sales strategies of a multiple media portfolio. Leading a team of sales managers and account executives, the GSM will create a culture of cross-platform and cross-product selling including WAXN-TV, multiple digital products and Telemundo Charlotte. The GSM will develop strategies with a sharp customer focus and consistently deliver on revenue expectations. The GSM is responsible for the attainment of the revenue goals and must display entrepreneurial skills in creating new revenue opportunities. The GSM is also responsible for development and implementation of a strategic plan to guide the sales departments to successfully attain revenue goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- The General Sales Manager will be responsible for the development of cross-product sales strategies and ad products to reach expected revenue levels while meeting market demands. Using creativity, business basics and customer knowledge, the GSM will lead a team to develop customized solutions for new and existing customers.
- This position requires an innovative sales leader with a demonstrated ability to find creative solutions that meet the demands of advertisers. This role also requires the ability to define and build an organizational structure to support the defined sales and revenue objectives.
- Supervises National and Local Sales Managers. Using an integrated sales strategy, training and expectations developed by the GSM and executed via the sales leadership team and account managers. Also included are the administrative responsibilities involved in the hiring, training, evaluation, and discipline of the personnel under these managers.
- As part of managing overall performance, the GSM will work with the Sales Managers to develop motivational methods of achieving revenue goals. Responsible for providing weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports, including revenue projections, end of month performance summary by category, sales executive and strategy.
- Will also participate in annual revenue budgeting and analysis. Analyzing National and Local economic conditions to forecast the short and long term station revenue goals. Budget and forecast operational and expense budgets for all sub-departments, maintained on a monthly and annual basis.
- Establishes the rate structure for the station to achieve the revenue goals as forecast. Oversee sales managers optimization of inventory management for revenue maximization of spot time sales and sets product and program rates/packaging accordingly.
- Responsible for pricing and inventory control by maintaining a constant evaluation of all economic factors pertaining to the competition and to market conditions.
- Oversee sales managers optimization of inventory management for revenue maximization of spot time sales and sets product and program rates/packaging accordingly.
- Communicates inventory, sales and packaging strategies to sales managers.
- Manages account lists to maximize sales resources against market potential.
- Creates and develops new revenue streams as product and service opportunities present themselves.
- Develops and implements sales processes to provide for smooth and timely workflow throughout the sales process including traffic, production, promotions, accounting and programming.
- Identifies and eliminates barriers to the sales process between account manager and client.
- Ensures sales tools are utilized to maximum advantage in the marketplace for positioning and sales cultivation.
- Facilitates and builds positive collaborative relationships between the Sales Departments and other Cox departments and divisions.
- May perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years media sales management experience – preferably in broadcast TV sales- as either a General, Local, and/or National Sales Manager.
- Minimum of seven (7) years media sales experience.
- Strong Sales leadership, teamwork, and project management
- Strong selling skills for television mediums and in sales negotiation.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills-required.
- Strong verbal, writing, mathematical, reading and analytical skills.
- Strong ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and commissions.
- Knowledge of Excel, Windows and media software such as Wide Orbit, Kantar, Matrix, and Miller Kaplan.
- Good understanding of television programming, production, delivery and research.
- General business experience and knowledge of related advertising businesses.
- General knowledge of technical aspects of television
- Willingness and ability to join organizations to enhance the image and recognition of Cox Media in the marketplace.
- Experience in driving regional and national business.
- Must have proven history of creativity and flexibility with a positive attitude.
- Must be able to get along and collaborate with others is an essential function of the job
- Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers and non-daily publications; and digital sites and services, like Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, Mundo Hispanico, Southern Kitchen and Diehards. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-NC-Charlotte-1901 N Tryon St
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager/Senior Manager
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing