All Media Journalist IVJob ID 1816509 Date posted 10/31/2018 Location: Dayton, Ohio Apply
The Dayton Daily News is seeking an AMJ to lead our coverage of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, the people who work there, the jobs and contractors in and around the base, and the U.S. military as its actions affect the Miami Valley.
The ideal candidate must be able to find important stories that involve Wright-Patterson, the work done there, and the U.S. military's actions that impact the Dayton region. They will tell those stories with a digital audience first in mind - in our digital products, through our broadcast partners WHIO-TV and radio, and in our printed newspapers the Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun and the JournalNews. An understanding of the military community is preferred.
In addition to producing their own content, this candidate will oversee the digital delivery of all online content related to military coverage produced by Cox Media Group Ohio as well as other sources, including material that has previously been published in the base newspaper, the Skywrighter. They will coordinate the digital use of content produced with a two-person team that writes and produces the Skywrighter for the U.S. Air Force. Stories published in the Skywriter are not subject to review by this person, but once published by the Air Force the stories will be optimized and delivered to our wider audience under this person's direction. This person will be responsible for the successful execution and growth of our digital products related to the Wright Patt Today brand, currently a daily email newsletter and social media accounts. They will also be an important member of the CMGO newsroom and will be responsible for communicating to our cross-platform newsroom so that other platforms can benefit from the stories as they see fit.
- Displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to get the best, most complete content for readers on the timetable readers need it; meets deadline.
- Develops and nurtures sources quickly, building relationships that result in scoops.
- Generates story ideas that will be of interest to our digital audience.
- Understands and simplifies complex issues and writes clearly and quickly.
- Shows the ability to manages a Facebook page that runs a regular, daily volume of posts as well as interacts/responds to tips or comments as appropriate.
- Familiar with digital analytical tools and how they can help inform decisions about what to cover and how to present it, with an emphasis on achieving the widest digital audience possible for this work.
- Has demonstrated record of working in a complex newsroom environment.
- Experience in or ability to learn TV broadcast writing style and news-radio delivery sufficient to be able to contribute as needed to our broadcast news products WHIO TV and radio.
- Works in communication with our business editor but will often be self-directed.
- Can provide oversight or technical direction to reporters or editorial assistants.
- Generates clean and concise copy with primary work product being short, optimized articles, graphics, photos and videos delivered to readers on our digital platforms.
- Generates work that is balanced, fair, complete, in-depth when needed and dependable, incorporating where appropriate a diverse range of sources. Copy should not contain errors of fact or judgment and should not include any issues of bias.
- Uses time effectively and efficiently, meeting deadlines and producing an acceptable volume of work.
- Creates additional story elements such as videos, photos, glance boxes, graphics, social posts, social shareables and content for interactives and charts.
- Uses tactics that help content be SEO optimized using google trends research or other tools.
- Demonstrates ability to use technology to file stories remotely as required.
- Possesses basic understanding of police procedure in Ohio.
- Possesses understanding of access and libel laws in Ohio.
- Possesses basic photographic and video skills or ability to learn them quickly.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Education and experience in digital news production preferred.
- Three years’ experience at daily news content creation preferred with experience covering spot news.
- Knowledge of the use of computer writing systems and software for use of email, database management, spreadsheets and digital video production .
- Requirement may change over time depending on technology and company priorities.
- Possesses a valid drivers license.
- An understanding of the military community is preferred.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-OH-Dayton-1611 S Main St
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing
About Editorial and Newsroom
Cox Media Group’s operations include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers and non-daily publications and digital sites and services. Working with reporters, photographers, and producers, you'll be a part of the team that brings the news all around the U.S. through integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media.
Recently Viewed Jobs
No Recently Viewed Jobs
- Special Projects Videographer - Producer Dayton, Ohio