The Breaking News Desk Investigator is key to CMGO's drive to be the first and foremost 24-7 local news source. This person MUST possess a sense of urgency, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and news judgment. As a member of the Breaking News Team, their primary role is to serve as the team's primary monitor of breaking news in our area and around the world, and to serve as a dispatcher to our local first responders in the field. The Desk Investigator will monitor police/fire scanners for multiple counties; field phone calls, monitor emails and scan multiple branded social media accounts for news tips from the public. The Desk Investigator will utilize their Journalism training to write breaking news, weather and non-urgent content for our digital products, with emphasis on mobile writing of "snack-able” content. The Desk Investigator will implement SEO techniques to bolster engagement with our content. The Desk Investigator must be skilled in social media and compose tweets of confirmed news; he or she will publish content to multiple branded sites, and will continue to update developing stories, providing our audiences with fresh, up-to-the-minute content anytime, anywhere. The Desk Investigator is responsible for alerting the newsroom to breaking news in our market and around the world so content managers can make planning and coverage decisions. The Desk Investigator must be a calm, professional, verbal communicator who works well under pressure and with colleagues and managers across the newsroom and in the field.
The position requires you to work overnights and weekends.
• Displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to handle breaking news
• Displays ability to work under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
• Possesses sound news judgment for all platforms-digital, radio, television, print
• Displays ability to use technology, including monitoring Tweetdeck, Social Flow, live Rangecast scanners, traffic cameras, weather radar, NWS sites, and wires for breaking news and weather conditions
• Ability to identify breaking news and alert newsroom staff via internal alerts
• Possesses knowledge of police codes on scanners, and possesses a key sense of what is newsworthy
• Confirms scanner traffic via phone with dispatchers, makes systematic beat check calls
• Ability to request and add elements to web stories such as compelling video, pictures, and other visual data.
• Ability to send news/weather tweets on WHIO and Stormcenter7 at least once per hour; more frequent during breaking news/weather events
• Uses time effectively, efficiently, meeting deadlines and producing an acceptable volume of work
• Is flexible in shift starting times and work locations
• Displays the ability to communicate effectively with community contacts and excels at developing relationships and trust with contacts, sources and cross platform co-workers
• Stays in constant communication with Breaking News, Coordination and Digital team members
• Quickly disperses information to the Breaking News Team and pays special attention to platform deadlines and strives to meet content needs of those platforms by deadline
• Collaborates and communicates effectively with others while maintaining a positive, helpful attitude
• Handles other assignments as needed, showing flexibility and adaptability, and a calm, cool, demeanor in working with others during stressful news events
• Ability to be innovative in ways to ethically confirm breaking news stories and obtain content and visuals
• Bachelor's degree preferred or at least 1 year of professional media, social media and digital media experience preferred.
• Requirements may change over time depending on technology and company priorities.
Cox Media GroupPrimary Location:
US-OH-Dayton-1611 S Main StEmployee Status: