News Director MmktJob ID 189594 Date posted 06/12/2018 Location: Dayton, Ohio Apply
WHIO-TV News Director
Cox Media Group Ohio/WHIO-TV seeks a dynamic and collaborative leader with excellent news judgment to drive growth and reach of WHIO-TV’s news products, on-air and in digital, and to help lead a multi-brand, multi-platform newsroom.
This opportunity is unique in today’s media business. Not only is WHIO-TV No. 1 in the Dayton market and the No. 1 CBS affiliate in the country, it operates as part of a groundbreaking team of 200+ local journalists who are building the newsroom of the future. This innovative team is a modern media lab, working together to produce WHIO-TV’s award-winning newscasts and news products as well as three daily newspapers, a news/talk radio station and more than a dozen websites and apps, to reach the audience in every format.
The WHIO-TV News Director will oversee a team of 55+ reporters, anchors, producers, videographers, meteorologists, breaking news experts and news managers to create and execute top quality newscasts and digital products while growing WHIO-TV’s brand influence, digital audience and broadcast ratings.
Qualified applicants will have a proven record of winning with breaking news, investigative and enterprise reporting and successful digital products. He/she will know how to lead weather coverage that elevates and differentiates our local news products. He/she will have demonstrated the ability to lead collaboratively and to foster an innovative, can-do culture; to manage resources and hire and retain the best talent; to create and execute research-based strategic plans; and to grow new opportunities in a multi-media environment. He/she will have a strategic understanding of how broadcast, digital and social media – as well as other brands and platforms like radio and newspaper -- can complement each other and drive excellent coverage while maintaining high editorial standards.
- Develop a winning strategy for all newscasts, including setting clear standards for all aspects of the on-air presentation, providing regular critiques and ensuring excellent execution
- Foster a digital culture and help drive digital competency across the greater organization to increase broadcast ratings and grow digital audience, including on mobile, mobile apps, desktop, OTT and virtual assistants
- Inspire a culture of innovation, collaboration and the highest standards of excellence in a multi-brand, multi-platform newsroom
- Be a valuable contributor to our multi-brand leadership team with the goal to grow overall reach and impact of all Cox Media Group Ohio brands
- Define and communicate WHIO-TV’s news vision and mission on all platforms, including journalistic ethics, editorial content, community involvement and competitive position
- Operationalize WHIO-TV research across all platforms
- Lead, recruit, engage, coach and motivate staff, including hiring, developing, negotiating and supervising talent
- Provide strategic and tactical leadership for all platforms and brands in breaking news, major news, investigative and enterprise journalism, visual storytelling and impactful daily weather coverage
- Leverage our consultants and training resources, seek synergies with other CMG properties and serve as liaison with Cox corporate resources
Education and/or experience required
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university preferred
- Minimum of 5 years television newsroom management experience
- Proven track record with breaking news, investigative and enterprise reporting, weather coverage and the deep understanding of executing news and news promotion in the digital ecosystem
- Proven success leading and developing staff. Must be well versed in recruiting, developing, coaching and retaining top talent
- Ability to partner with research, finance and other company departments to manage resources and to deliver, evolve and optimize strategic plans that strengthen our news position on all platforms
- Knowledge and experience using research to grow audience and fight competition
- Strong understanding of Nielsen broadcast data and digital analytics, and ability to use them to shape coverage and brand strategies
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Teamwork and the ability to get along with others is an essential function of the job
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-OH-Dayton-1611 S Main St
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Executive
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Cox Media Group’s operations include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers and non-daily publications and digital sites and services. From our on-air talent to jobs within our technical operations, you'll be part of a team that communicates news all around the U.S. through integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media.