News Director MmktJob ID 184679 Date posted 03/14/2018 Location Dedham, Massachusetts Apply
Boston 25/WFXT is seeking a dynamic, experienced news leader. This leader will possess solid news judgment to oversee all aspects of daily news and digital news content. The News Director will lead a team of 130+ in the newsroom in the execution of top quality newscasts while growing audience ratings and our digital product.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare and execute department operating and personnel budgets.
- Supervise Executive Producers, Producers, and Managing Editor in carrying out the news policy and goals of Boston 25/WFXT.
- Review previous news programs for critique of production, news content and personnel performance.
- Resolve equipment and staff assignment problems
- Coordinate News Department needs and problems with other departments.
- Work directly with News Associations in providing regional, national and international network material.
- Seek out contacts with individuals and groups in the community to determine their news needs and interests.
- Meet with individual staff members and their supervisors to evaluate and improve performance and professionalism.
Directly supervises 20+ employees in the news department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.Qualifications
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university preferred
- Minimum of 5 years newsroom management experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Use of telephone, I-News newsroom computer system and PC. Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Word and Excel preferable.
- Proven track record with breaking news, investigative and enterprise reporting and the successful delivery of digital products. This person must also have excellent leadership and people skills. Must be well versed in recruiting, developing and retaining top talent, managing resources, creating and executing research based strategic plans and growing new opportunities in a multi-media environment. Must be able to work well with all station personnel.
- Employees accomplish their duties using safe work practices and equipment, while being responsible for reporting all injuries, observed unsafe conditions or practices to their leader. Coach fellow employees on safe work practices as appropriate and contribute to the overall success of the company’s safety program.
- Teamwork and the ability to get along with others is an essential function of the job.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers and non-daily publications; and digital sites and services, like Rare.us, Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, Mundo Hispanico, Southern Kitchen and All22. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-MA-Dedham-25 Fox Dr
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Director/Senior Director
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Recently Viewed Jobs
No Recently Viewed Jobs