News EditorJob ID 1815294 Date posted 10/02/2018 Location: Dedham, Massachusetts Apply
Boston 25 Receive Editors lead the market in providing creative ways to showcase video content on the air while making sure their work meets the mission of being the source for breaking news, weather and enterprise/investigative content. Receive Editors work each day to provide a cohesive view of the day’s news by keeping a close eye on quality control and utilizing current industry standards to edit fast paced stories that have an impact on viewers. In addition to editing, receive editors work closely with the newsroom to bring in live feeds and live shots, including microwave, satellite, fiber, bonded cellular and emerging live technologies.
• Edit opens, teases, vo’s, vosots and packages, using pre-production skills and knowledge to specialize edited clips
• Have complete working knowledge of Avid NewsCutter editing software, as well as all aspects of ingest and delivery including FTP, Aspera, etc.
• Have working knowledge of Photoshop and know how to properly size and format any still images used in VOs & PKGs.
• Arrive on time each day ready to jump right in and assemble pitch-reels or assist assignment desk with any other start of shift needs.
• Seek out best shots to produce the most compelling clips for air. Work closely with producers and writers to make this happen, communicate any information about better choices for video than what is in scripts.
• Properly archive clips.
• Work with digital team on any website video needs, including, but not limited to, editing out rights protected sports video, third party video and editing any “web only” content.
• Take ownership of all video sent to air, QC final product, watch for jump cuts, countdowns, correct custom tags, etc.
• Establish microwave, satellite, fiber and bonded cellular for feeds and live transmissions from crews in the field.
• When coordinating: keep track of all edit needs for the newscast, assign pkgs to editors, find any file video needs for producers, have complete knowledge of where to find video, properly archive video after newscast is off the air.
• Communicate any issues (technical or workflow related) to Director of News Technology.
• Stay up on the latest editing systems, technology and techniques.
• Understand basic operation of Satellite & Microwave Transmission Vehicles.
• Proper operation of video routers, encoders and decoders.
• Operation of remote cameras.
• Proficient operation of Waveform Monitor, Vector scope and Spectrum Analyzer.
• Knowledge of SD and HD formats.
• Ingest and QC of broadcast material into AVID video server system.
• Make split second decisions for live news shows while being an excellent communicator who is able to deal with stressful situations.
• Help maintain vehicles and educate photographers on various live transmission options.
• Help with other technical needs as possible and needed.
• Coordination with news operation and production control for remote live shots.
• Other duties may be assigned
• A minimum of 2 years professional experience editing local TV news is preferred
• Prior experience with Avid NewsCutter editing software is a plus
• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university in Journalism or Communications preferred
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
• Must be thoroughly professional in all aspects of production
• Must be able to communicate clearly over the telephone and two-way radios.
• Must be well read on current affairs and have a wide-range working knowledge and understanding of general interest subjects
• Must be able to focus under pressure
• Specific vision abilities required to identify quality and signal issues with video and audio transmissions.
• Must be able to lift at least 30lbs.
• Sit for extended periods while on shift
WFXT/Boston 25 is an equal opportunity employer.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-MA-Dedham-25 Fox Dr
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Unposting Date: Ongoing
About Editorial and Newsroom
Cox Media Group’s operations include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers and non-daily publications and digital sites and services. Working with reporters, photographers, and producers, you'll be a part of the team that brings the news all around the U.S. through integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media.