Jupiter Community ReporterJob ID 181866 Date posted 02/07/2018 Location West Palm Beach, Florida Apply
- Reports stories through in-person and/or telephone interviews.
- Calls or visits sources, acquires and reads documents and other Web sites seeking ideas for stories. Builds and maintains relationships with sources.
- With guidance from editor, writes stories, blog entries and other online pieces accurately and fairly. Work typically requires editing.
- Work schedule is generally Monday-Friday, with some night shifts to cover meetings, events, etc., and some weekend assignments, along with participation in overall rotation of weekend reporters.
- Discusses stories and story ideas with supervising editor.
- Follows up on breaking news feeds with deeper reporting on related issues and trends.
- Takes photos for stories as needed and creates and edits video for the Web, as needed.
- Will be encouraged to think of innovative ways to present information online.
- Creates photo assignments and discusses photo ideas with photographers and editors.
- Creates and proofs completed graphics assignments, as needed.
- Answers reader calls and e-mails with professionalism.
- Attends government and other groups’ meetings.
- Maintains list of developing stories, and updates them as needed.
- Keeps updated and organized list of contacts in electronic form, accessible to others, in case someone needs to fill in while on vacation.
- Updates stories during the day for Web as events unfold.
- Analyzes notes to determine pertinent information.
- Writes to budgeted lengths and on deadline.
- Follows trends in respective subject area on a local and national level.
- Identifies fresh angles in ongoing stories; spots unusual, offbeat and complex stories.
- Communicates with reporters from related beats around the newsroom to coordinate efforts on various stories.
- Reads The Palm Beach Post and competing newspapers daily and views the Web sites multiple times daily to see what is written.
- As necessary, travels out-of-town for important stories. Responsible for making travel arrangements using Cox Travel Services.
- Knows and applies Palm Beach Post and AP styles.
- Understands and adheres to libel law.
- Understands and adheres to The Palm Beach Post’s ethics and policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field from a 4-year accredited college or university preferred.
- Three or more years of newsroom experience required.
- Valid Florida Driver LicenseKnowledge
- English language: Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Required knowledge of software programs: Microsoft Excel.
- Communications and Media: Understands methods of communication and dissemination of information, including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral and visual mediaSkillsListening/speaking: Gives full attention to what others are saying, comprehends the points made and has the ability to get across information clearly and ask the right questions. Understands the reactions of others to situations and reacts accordingly.
Reading Comprehension/thinking: Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
Time Management: Manages one's own time and respects the time of others.
Critical Thinking: Uses logic and reasoning to solve problems, and learns from these experiences. Understands the benefits or risks of actions taken.Writing: Writes stories concisely and accurately. They are rich in detail and versatility, including descriptive, explanatory narrative.Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.Abilities
- To be decisive and work with minimal supervision.
- To understand graphical organization and to digest complicated information.
- To work quickly and accurately on deadline.
- To build strong working relationships within and between departments.
- To communicate information and ideas so that others will understand.
- To work flexible hours.COMPETENCIES1. Innovation/continuous learning/continuous improvement: Generating innovative solutions in work situations, trying different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities. Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application. Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; using appropriate methods to identify opportunities, implement solutions, and measure impact.2. Attention to detail/Quality orientation/Organization/Work standards: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time. Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is complete efficiently and to a high standard. Assumes responsibility for assignments and tasks through self-imposed standards of excellence.3. Communication/collaboration/contribution to team success: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message. Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
4. Dependability/integrity: Being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations. Maintaining social, ethical, and organizational norms; firmly adhering to codes of conduct and ethical principles.
5. Energy/tenacity/stress tolerance: Consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operating with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time. Staying with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable. Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.PHYSICAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position requires sitting and the use of a computer mouse.
- Must be able to move about an office setting and building, and operate standard office equipment such as telephones, staplers, fax machines, copiers and computers.WORK ENVIRONMENTThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Usual office environment
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers and non-daily publications; and digital sites and services, like Rare.us, Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, Mundo Hispanico, Southern Kitchen and All22. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-FL-West Palm Beach-2751 S Dixie Hwy
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing