Associate Content EditorJob ID 1719613 Date posted 12/29/2017 Location Atlanta, Georgia Apply
The Associate Content Editor is a dynamic position with the National Content Desk at Cox Media Group. We are looking for someone with strong writing skills and a knack for picking the right story at the right time. This person is a fast writer and enjoys breaking news and knowing about popular news and topics before anyone else. You will have the latest digital newsgathering tools at your fingertips and your engaging stories and crafty headlines will drive millions of page views for the various radio, television and newspaper websites across Cox Media Group. This person will be able to spot topics and story ideas across the country hours before they show up in everyone’s news feed.
This position must be available for nighttime and weekend work as needed to meet the needs of the news cycle. The candidate will work Monday-Friday during training, and will shift to Tuesday-Saturday once all training is completed. The CMG National Content Desk team is based in Atlanta, Georgia.
• Cover breaking news as needed in a fast, accurate and mobile-friendly way.
• Understand and apply the principles of SMO and SEO.
• Use data to surface high-potential stories and understand content performance.
• Aggregate and optimize content from other media sources.
• Write compelling stories and headlines to drive audience in various channels.
• Remain responsive to news producers at local Cox sites to trouble shoot
content and meet content needs.
• Remain up-to-date with digital and social media trends
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field preferred
• 1-3 years’ experience in a fast-paced, digital-first newsroom.
• Experience working with breaking news highly desired.
• Excellent writing and communication skills necessary. Must have links or clips.
• Ability to manage tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Experience working in a newsroom CMS system is necessary.
• Experience as a social media producer also helpful.
Cox Media Group (CMG) is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that also includes the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company’s operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations; more than 60 radio stations; six daily newspapers, more than a dozen non-daily publications; and more than 100 digital sites and services, like Rare.us, Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, and All22. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 31 million TV viewers, more than 3.5 million newspaper readers, and nearly 15 million radio listeners. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer; Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-GA-Atlanta-1601 W Peachtree St NE
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing