Audience Development ManagerLocation Austin, Texas Job Number 177519 Brand CMG Newspaper Shared Services
The manager of outbound audience development sits at the intersection of business, technology and strategy and leads the local audience development strategy at one or more of the Cox Media Group Newspapers. This includes both third and first party platforms (social, onsite, etc) as well as the growth of engagement with our subscriber audience. The ideal candidate is a solutions-oriented individual who is always looking towards what’s next. Part growth hacker, part product manager this individual is able to wear multiple hats and is always thinking about what’s best for the customer.
The manager of outbound audience development has a proven track record of developing, testing, and optimizing various strategies in order to meet the company’s goals. Whether this individual is working with social media or with on-site audiences, he/she must have a strong understanding of digital metrics and how to apply them to decision making on a daily basis on both a micro and macro level. In addition, this person needs to be highly collaborative and able to lead a team of direct reports as well as lead through influence as a number of his/her projects will require multiple departments working together to execute seamlessly.
- Data and Analytics – the audience product manager is responsible for using data from a number of tools and platforms to inform and optimize strategies currently in place. This individual needs to be able to cull through all of the information available to tell the story of the product, tool or strategy and use this information to provide recommendations on how to grow the business
- Experimentation and Growth – this person leads the growth hacking process at his/her local market. Using the philosophy of design, do – the audience product manager is able to run a series of experiments both large and small to grow organic audiences (both on and off site), increase the reach of off-site platforms and increase referrals back to our owned and operated properties.
- Training – this person needs to be an excellent communicator who can train others on best practices and what he/she has learned throughout the experimentation process. They will be responsible for leading others through influence to replicate their successes and ultimately grow the organization
- Thought Leadership – this person will serve as the subject matter expert, working across departments to craft distribution strategies for major projects or initiatives. This person offers recommendations on alternative distribution strategies and is able to think outside of the Facebook and Twitter box to create comprehensive and trackable strategies
- Product Management – this person is responsible for several products within the Cox Media Group Newspaper division. He/she is the champion for these products working across departments to grow and enhance offerings to the customer.
- Managing direct reports – this person needs to be able to lead from a distance as his/her direct reports may not be in the same market. This person will be responsible for ensuring quality work from his/her direct reports and coaching for success
- Advanced knowledge of Internet technologies relevant to online advertising, social media, email marketing, podcasting, RSS feeds, and more
- Excellent analytical, creative, and organizational skills with the ability to develop new strategies for digital audience development and growth within key demographics and verticals.
- Advanced data analysis skills. Must have the ability to correlate and interpret raw data, create reports, identify and disseminate learnings to others.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently with little supervision and as part of a team.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills as this position regularly meets with senior leadership.
- Ability to think strategically and act quickly on new digital growth opportunities including, but not limited to social media, chat, SMS, push notifications, email marketing, etc.
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and produce quick turnarounds.
- Must be able to work across departments developing strategies to meet multiple key performance indicators and support several business units
- Minimum four or more years of social media or related audience development experience, prefer six or more years’ experience.
- Significant knowledge of the digital space as it pertains to news
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with individuals and groups.
- Management experience
- Must have strong knowledge of using analytics to provide action-oriented recommendations
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong consensus building skills
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations and one local cable channel, more than 60 radio stations, six daily newspapers and more than a dozen non-daily publications; and more than 100 digital sites and services, like Rare.us, Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, and All22. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 31 million TV viewers, more than 3.5 million newspaper readers, and more than 14 million radio listeners. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-TX-Austin-305 S Congress Ave
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing