Managing Editor, RareLocation Washington, District of Columbia Job Number 172724 Brand Fans 1st Media
Rare is looking for a managing editor to oversee day-to-day operations in its Washington, DC, newsroom. This person has a strong say in editorial direction of Rare.us and is part of the leadership team managing business operations for Fans 1st Media, a digital startup within Cox Media Group that includes six other major national sites. Rare alone had 18 million unique visitors in January 2017, making it one of the largest news sites in the U.S. In addition to running the DC office, the managing editor works with teams in Washington, Atlanta, Austin and Nashville on video, audience, site design/development and marketing.
- A drive to win
- Excellent news judgment
- Strong leadership abilities to inspire and drive a team
- Strong opinions about how a successful digital news operation ought to work
- An abundance of story ideas
- An understanding of the social landscape that drives and engages audiences
- An understanding of content publishing workflows and management systems, Facebook and social distribution methods, and content strategies is preferred.
- An ability to understand both the granular and the big picture
- A really keen sense of news, what makes news and how to tell news to a conservative readership
- How to successfully tell the same story to different audiences without sacrificing the truth
- An easy-going spirit, an aversion to drama and an ability to stay calm and focused during stressful situations
- Serve under the senior director of content
- Be an integral part of the team that makes strategic and brand decisions
- Manage daily meetings about news coverage
- Assign stories to writers
- Coordinate content channels with social/audience team
- Coach and direct writers on stories
- Work with sister websites for continuity and efficacy
- Manage field of freelancers
- Work with video department on ideas and execution
- Hold content team accountable for performance
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4-6 years of news experience, preferably in a management and decision-making role
- Ability to multitask and manage competing demands
- Passion for the news and for the truth
- Effective communication
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that includes the national advertising rep firms of CoxReps. Additionally, CMG owns Cox Target Media, which operates Valpak, one of North America's leading direct marketing companies, and Savings.com, a leading online source for savings.
The company's operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations and one local cable channel, 57 radio stations, eight daily newspapers and more than a dozen non-daily publications, and more than 100 digital services.
CMG currently operates in more than 30 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 32 million TV viewers, more than 4 million print and online newspaper readers, and 14 million radio listeners.
For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmedia.com
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-DC-Washington-1050 17th St NW
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Team Leader
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing